Vermont Painting Residency

This is a good opportunity for me to paint. Away from responsibilities at home, and away from work and wonderful clients. I'm here to focus on PAINTING! A note for NEW blog viewers: if you'd like to read chronologically, begin with the posting at the bottom. The most recent postings are at the top. Additionally, one can double-click on most images to enlarge for more detail.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Entertainment in Johnson, VT


Besides the interesting lectures and presentations provided by visiting artists and the VSC artists and writers, there is other entertainment here. I was completing work in my studio one evening last week. I heard music and followed it to a source down the hallway in “the Gym” discovering a dance party. How convenient…so close to my studio. I thank my dance partner, Erin, for sharing these photos.

Knowing that I don’t enjoy laundry, a few of my buddies asked me to join them. I was promised an interesting experience. Amazing how a group of artists can turn a mundane chore into entertainment. The adventure began when we made a collective decision to drive to the Laundromat. It is important to mention here for those not familiar with the metropolis of Johnson, VT that the Laundromat is only two blocks from VSC.
The return trip was a bit longer, since we traveled to Morrisville (10 miles one-way) for videos and stale Dunkin Doughnuts (I didn’t know they made them only in the morning…where’s a “HOT” sign at the Krispy Kreme when you need to fulfill a late night attack of the munchies).

A near disaster was averted when Elizabeth used her alertness and good driving skills to dodge a skunk crossing the highway (I was more impressed by the skunk’s skill at getting the h*!!-out-of-the-way of our swift Volvo).

It was like a heat-wave today (I think it possibly made it to 80 degrees if one sat in a sunny spot). Sporting flip-flops and shorts, the residents of VSC made trips to rivers, creeks and swimming holes. Ivette and Erin directed me to this beautiful place less than 2 miles from VSC. Childhood experiences in the Blue Ridge Mts., taught me that the water temperature here would be like ice-water. Yet, not to be outdone by the girls, I succumbed to my inner macho and plunged into the water. I think I screamed like a little girl (and, to think, I was worried about letting them paint my toenails last week). 2 hours later, I regained the feeling in my feet. Below is our swimming hole...looks like fresh glacial water, doesn't it?