Vermont Painting Residency

This is a good opportunity for me to paint. Away from responsibilities at home, and away from work and wonderful clients. I'm here to focus on PAINTING! A note for NEW blog viewers: if you'd like to read chronologically, begin with the posting at the bottom. The most recent postings are at the top. Additionally, one can double-click on most images to enlarge for more detail.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Arrival at Vermont Studio Center


After taking Roger to the Burlington airport, I drove to Johnson and registered at the Vermont Studio Center (VSC). I was greeted by the kind and helpful staff who showed me my studio and the house where I’ll be staying during my visit.

This is a photo of the main building and dining hall, called the Red Mill. My studio is located just across the street in a large building called Kahn Gym. I was glad to find my studio is large, open and light. My house, which I'm sharing with about 10 others, is about one block from the studio. I think I’ll be parking my car and walking everywhere! I had just enough time to unload my clothes and my studio supplies before it began to rain again. Tonight is a brief welcome before dinner. Tomorrow I begin to work.

A quick word about Vermont. I’ve had opportunities to travel to a few places in the world, but I am beginning to see that this state has some unique residents. A bumper sticker I saw today probably sums it up: “I’M A VERMONTA, I DO WHAT I WANTA”.