Vermont Painting Residency

This is a good opportunity for me to paint. Away from responsibilities at home, and away from work and wonderful clients. I'm here to focus on PAINTING! A note for NEW blog viewers: if you'd like to read chronologically, begin with the posting at the bottom. The most recent postings are at the top. Additionally, one can double-click on most images to enlarge for more detail.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

American Idol in Vermont?

For those of you interested what I'm painting: I decided to start with a few abstract gestural paintings on watercolor paper...as a warming up exercise since I haven't painted in a year. In addition, I took photos of the flora just outside the studio building….between rain showers, of course. It is still raining and I honestly haven't seen the sun since arriving in VT. The photo at right is one I took in a vegetable garden between the 'Gym' and the river...I believe it is Rhubarb.

I emailed the following to some of you before publishing it in my blog… you can skip over or read again.

In the process of weaning myself off of a media based lifestyle, I felt like I’d be breaking some sort of Vermont law if I inquired to see if anyone would be watching Idol last night. I anxiously ventured down to the resident’s lounge where they have a TV (along with a ping-pong table, etc.). Gathered around were one or two people watching TV…and Idol was on…life is good! Also watching were a couple of others who hadn’t seen many of the shows. I pretended to be an occasional viewer.

I think that I gave it away when I started reciting-off Idol facts when someone would ask a question (like…Who is this?…my pitiful reply: “Her name is Katherine, she’s from LA, she’s gotta great voice, but I don’t think she’s gonna win, ‘cause she’s been at the bottom of the voting results many times…don’t you think she’s attractive?”…oops). Also, I tried to restrain myself when a gal came into the lounge and said “What’s everyone watching?” …I blurted out loudly “American Idol” (like, don’t you even think about asking us to change the channel)…she said “OK”…but one of those long ones where you could see she was rolling her eyes as she turned around and walked off.

I’m anticipating tonight’s show…I’ll try to contain myself but I’m already preparing. For example, there is a talk on meditation in the Dining Hall just before Idol. Already I’m planning to sit near an exit, so if the speaker runs a little long, I’ll be able to leave discreetly. Shameful behavior…I know. And yes, I’m sure there is a 12 step program for people like me…however, it is just one more week and then I’ll be forced to go ‘cold turkey’.

“Hello, my name is Ed, I’m an American Idol addict. I like Katherine the best but I think Taylor’s gonna win.” Sick…I should probably double-up on my time in the Meditation Barn. This is a photo of Katherine.